Cooking up a storm - Eat Your Books

12:01 am

One of our favorite things at Pig Row is books, not just any books cookery books. Since a teen I have read cookery books like novels, for me they are the ultimate escape. 

Photo credit: hotblack from morguefile.com


You can travel to other countries, learn about other cultures, you can imagine what your ancestors ate, plan a fantasy meal or a real one for that matter. You can spend a weeks budget in a pop on one dish or plan meals to feed a whole family for under £35 a week. I rarely get fiction out at the library these days my card is usually full of the latest gastronomic literary offerings.

I own hundreds of cookery books scattered round the house they are like dear friends always there to warm up the most miserable of days. I must admit though that I have probably only cooked from a quarter of them, I have a habit of turning to my favorites even when I want inspiration for a new dish. I am not sure why this is but it certainly doesn't stop me purchasing new ones I can tell you.

It is with that in mind when I heard of an online search engine for cookbooks Eat Your Books I got really excited! We were lucky enough to be given a full membership and simply love it. In a nutshell Eat Your Books is probably the fastest way to find great recipes and better still recipes from cookbooks you already own. You simply type in all your cookbooks, do a search, find a recipe and then just grab the book off the shelf and cook! You can search on recipe name, ingredients, occasion, food type, ethnicity, book title or author. It's fab!

You can also tag books and recipes with bookmarks, which is a great way to organise your favorite recipes, ones you want to do later or any other categories you can think of. There's also a helpful shopping list function so you can use Eat Your Books to plan ahead.

Eat Your Books is a subscription only service but for $25 a year or $2.50 for a month to add unlimited books to your virtual bookshelf we think it is well worth it. If you want to try it out beforehand you can add five books completely and utterly free.

Prize competition

We have a LIFETIME membership to Eat Your Books to give away to one lucky reader!

Simply tell the team at Dormouse and The Teapot the author and title of your favorite cookery book. Post your answer in the comments section by clicking on comments below, make sure you leave a contact email or twitter name otherwise if you win we won't be able to contact you to arrange to send you your prize!

Sorry UK entrants only
Dormouse and The Teapot use a randomiser programme to select the winner.
This competition will close at midnight on 4 August 2011.


We received membership to Eat Your Books free of charge to review and as a competition prize.



This competition is now closed .  Our winner is 



You Might Also Like

5 comments

Subscribe