Try It Out Tuesday: My grandma's rock buns

12:01 am

The the first cakes I ever baked were rock buns, they were my first introduction to cooking and taught to me my grandmother. They were also my grandfathers favorite treat. I always think of both of them as I make them.

If you have twenty minutes and a few store-cupboard ingredients to hand you can whip up a batch of these delicious buns in a flash. Teach this recipe to your children or your grandchildren.

Grandma's Rock Buns














You will need

  • 225 g (8 oz) self raising flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • 100 g (4 oz) butter
  • 75 g (3 oz) mixed dried fruit
  • 25 g (1 oz) mixed peel
  • 1 tbsp mixed spice
  • 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
  • 1 medium egg
  • Milk to mix
How to make them

  • Heat your oven to 200ºC or Gas Mark 6. Grease two baking trays.
  • Mix the flour, salt and mixed spice, rub in the butter.
  • Stir in the dried fruit, mixed peel and sugar.
  • Mix to a stiff dough with egg and milk.
  • Place in rough heaps on the baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Makes 8 - 12 buns depending how large you want them to be.

Enjoy with a nice cup of tea

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe