Today the Dormouse Team had a lovely afternoon tea, with glorious ruby red strawberries grown by my husband Andrew (gardener extraordinaire) coupled with thick Cornish clotted cream on homemade buttermilk scones.
Mmmmmouth watering? You can find the recipe here..
220g/8oz plain flour
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
45g/1½oz unsalted butter
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
about 185ml/7fl oz buttermilk or soured creammilk, for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Sift the flour with the bicarbonate of soda and the salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter.
3. Make a well in the centre and add the sugar and enough buttermilk or cream to make a soft but not sticky dough.
4. Pat or roll out, on a floured surface, to a thickness of 1.5cm/0.5 inch.
5. Use a 5cm/2.5 inch biscuit cutter to stamp out rounds, lay them on a floured baking sheet and brush the tops with a little milk.
6. Bake for about ten minutes until well risen and lightly browned.
7. Serve still warm with clotted cream, or butter, and jam.